6 Reasons to Love Wide Crops
NEW PANT SILHOUETTE DRAWS ATTENTION DOWN
This season's cropped pants with wider legs are showing off our ankles in all their glory, and we find it rather exciting!
The wider legs we're seeing in store this season are part of a bigger trend in the fashion industry. Levi’s CEO Chip Bergh told CNBC recently that we're seeing early stages of a new denim cycle. The last one, led by skinny denim, lasted about 10 years.
“I don’t think skinny jeans are ever going to go away completely,” Bergh said. “But clearly right now we are seeing a very strong demand for these looser fits.” Pandemic living is driving the trend toward comfortable styles, he explained.
It's true that looser pants are ideal for working from home, but we think the wide-leg trend has roots that go back a bit farther than 2020. It actually started showing up on the runway in 2016.
As fashion commentator Robin Givhan noted in the Washington Post at the time, we were facing the possibility of the first female American president, and violence against women was a big part of the social conversation.
"We are reassessing definitions of gender, reconsidering ideal body shapes and asking ourselves what it means to be feminine," she wrote.
DON'T WORRY: SKINNY JEANS AREN'T OVER
We think Bergh is right about skinny jeans sticking around. Fitted styles down below provide balance when you're wearing a voluminous top, and slim pants are extremely practical in Canadian winters. Who wants wet cuffs and cold ankles? Nobody. So don't go giving away your slim styles just yet.
But in spring, wide and cropped pants —call them capris, culottes, flares, kickflares, shpants, whatever — are brilliant. We especially love how they allow us to show off our shoes. But there are many reasons we're welcoming wider pants!
SIX REASONS TO LOVE WIDE CROPPED PANTS
1) A wide-leg silhouette looks fresh and new. And a new fashion silhouette makes it feel like a new season. A new era even! Who doesn't need that right now?!
2) Wide pants provide a cool summer alternative that lies somewhere between shorts and pants. They show a little bit of skin, but not too much, so they're still appropriate for work and other air-conditioned environments.
3) A cropped pant means you can work the wide leg trend, but without having to worry about dirty hems! Why not be prepared at all times to walk in the grass, do some gardening, ride a bike, or wade in the water?
4) Wide pants feel good when you're sitting. We are so over the feeling of pants that bind around the lower leg and have to be actively pushed down over our calves every time we stand up.
5) Wide crops look great with flat shoes. Look for ways to wear no socks or minimal socks. This highlights the ankle and brings a bit of sexy to the flat-shoe look.
We have a good selection of Smartwool No Show Socks that are perfect for sneakers. They wick moisture away and therefore keep the insides of your shoes from getting soggy. And these socks fit so well they don't slide around or slip down. Highly recommended by Resonance staffers!
6) Cropped pants are fit-flexible. On shorter women, a wide leg can look awesome hovering just above the ankle, so there's no need for alterations. Tall women can go extra wide, and it's fine if they're up around the mid or upper calf.
SHOES: TRUE TO SIZE
We know it's hard to buy shoes online. But we find that these two brands fit true to size. And we always allow refunds on online purchases, even for products that are on sale. (A few of the shoes shown in this blog post are reduced in price!)
FIND YOUR FAVE PANT + SHOE COMBO
We'll be asking for your feedback on these combos on social media this weekend. Get ready to interact!?